Sunday, April 8, 2007

Why retire at 40?

A friend of mine had suggested that people should retire at 23 or so for about 30 years, and at 50, start working and continue for the rest of their life. An interesting thought, but not financially feasible for most people. While that idea is a bit unreasonable, it does bring about an interesting question: Why do people retire at an age when they are less physically able to do things that they would want to do in retirement?

I decided to set myself the goal of early retirement. I want to retire at an age where I am still able to do all the things I like doing. Some of the physically demanding sports (like water polo) that I enjoy playing are not for your average 60 year old! While this goal may seem a little ambitious, I do have a plan, which I will talk about in my next post. It is not some get rich quick scheme, but rather involves working and earning money and investing it in a number of investment vehicles in an attempt to maximize the annual rate of return.

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." -- Michelangelo

No comments: